[tex-eplain] eplain usepackage problems on Mac OS X and cygwin

Dorai Sitaram dorai at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Apr 17 17:14:14 CEST 2006

> On Apr 17, 2006, at 9:29 AM, Dorai Sitaram wrote:
>
> > lambda.1 is an EPS file created with MetaPost.

> > When I run pdfetex on m.tex, it fails (on Mac OS X and Cygwin only,
> > as far
> > as I can tell), with the following message:
>
> But PDFTeX can't handle EPS files. The example works on Mac OS X with
> (dvi)tex.
>
> However, you are right that something is amiss here. If I convert the
> graphic to PDF and run the example with pdftex, I get the same
> errors. Looks like Hans' bug from the messages.
>
> Steve

Hmm, I thought an advantage of using \includegraphics was that you could
have all the conversions take place behind the scenes, with context's
\convertMPtoPDF for example.  (Before Oleg added packages to LaTeX, I used
the following hack

\ifx\pdfoutput\UnDeFiNeD
  \input epsf
\else
  \input supp-pdf
  \def\epsfbox#1{\convertMPtoPDF{#1}{1}{1}%
\fi

to gives myself a single command for loading EPS in both DVI and PDF TeX.
Not surprisingly, I'd rather use the more versatile \includegraphics.)

In any case, as you've confirmed, it doesn't come to that.  The thing fails
long before any commands from color.sty or graphicx.sty are called.  Very
strange that it should behave so differently from Solaris, when all the
concerned TeX files are of identical vintage.

Dorai