[tex-eplain] Warnings about redefinition of xref labels

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 12:51:09 CEST 2006

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 05:47:40PM -0400, Dorai Sitaram wrote:
> I ran
>
>   $ pdfetex f
>   $ acroread f.pdf
>
> on a Solaris box, and sure enough, clicking "the tagged page" link on page
> 3 takes me to page 2.

Really weird -- this does not work for me (on Linux).  This
could be either a newer pdfetex or a "smarter" Acrobat
Reader.  My pdfetex is an old one:

  $ pdfetex --version
  pdfeTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-1.10b-2.1
  kpathsea version 3.4.5
  Copyright (C) 1997-2003 The NTS Team (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
  [...]

I use Acrobat Reader 7.0.1 for Linux.  And this also does
not work on my xpdf version 3.01.

Could you maybe mail me the resulting PDF?  My PDF has the
following object in it:

  15 0 obj <<
  /Type /Annot
  /BS<</Type/Border/S/S/W 1>>
  /Rect [224.982 757.99 294.167 766.846]
  /Subtype/Link/A<</Type/Action /S/URI/URI(#apagetag)>>
  >> endobj

so my pdfetex obviously creates a URI link.  Maybe yours
does something different.

> Whatever the reason, it works as expected (by me at least)!  Please don't
> disable it now! :-)

Well, the only thing I was going to do is to have \href
check the first token of the label, and do one of the
following:

 - if the first token is not a #, create a `url' link using
   the label as the URL;

 - otherwise, strip off the # and create some kind of
   internal link using the stripped label for the anchor.

So you would get the same functionality, plus the ability to
customize the type and options for the internal link.  In
any case, I would not touch \hlstart, so it will continue to
work as now.  Is this fair enough :) ?

Best,
Oleg