[tex-eplain] Warnings about redefinition of xref labels

Dorai Sitaram dorai at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Apr 10 18:13:15 CEST 2006

Thanks, Oleg and Karl.  And I trust you (Oleg) are feeling better.

I am not wedded to the name \href.  So \hlhref would be OK -- a user can
always \let \href = \hlhref.  Indeed, the use of the name \href may not be
advisable for semantic reasons as well, as hyperref.sty's \href seems to
generalize from explicit external URLs to document-internal LaTeX labels in
a way that may not be possible for eplain.

Specifically, \href{#somelabel}{link-text} (note the #) makes link-text a
hyperlink to wherever \label{somelabel} was placed in the current document.

I don't know what the several labels in eplain translate to in terms of
hyperlink anchor names in the PDF output (i.e., the PDF equivalent of <a
name="...">).  For LaTeX and hyperref.sty, \label's argument apparently
translates exactly into the anchor name.

I take it that eplain massages the label name somewhat differently
depending on what category it is in, as it seems possible to have the same
user-supplied label for various label categories.  LaTeX doesn't, and in a
way that makes the translation into HTML or PDF easier.

Dorai