[tex-eplain] Hyperlinks in Eplain

geolsoft at mail.ru geolsoft at mail.ru
Thu Jun 30 15:40:30 CEST 2005

Dear list members,

I have a proposal for extending functionality of Eplain
package.  As a matter of fact, I am willing to implement it
myself (with your help and advice), if the authors /
maintainers / users will deem this feature worth
incorporating into the mainstream distribution.

The idea is to develop infrastructure for producing
hyperlinked documents.  This should be similar to the
hyperref package for LaTeX, although maybe not as
sophisticated.  I can implement a `driver' for pdftex, but
maybe later on other `drivers' will be added, possibly for
other document formats such as DJVU, when/if a .dvi
converter for it will be produced.

I intend to add hyperlinking capabilities to
cross-referencing macros, page references, equations, lists,
footnotes, bibliography and indexing macros, and maybe add
helpers for creating PDF bookmarks.

I have already tried to implement these features as wrappers
around Eplain's macros.  Unfortunately, it turned out
impossible to do this for some of the macros and required
adding new commands inside the Eplain's macros.  Therefore,
instead of writing the wrappers, I thought it best to add
this functionality directly to the mainstream source, if you
are interested in it.

I will be glad to know what you think of this.

--
Best regards,
Oleg Katsitadze

P.S.

The sources for the experiment I mentioned above can be
downloaded from

  http://geolsoft.freeshell.org/elsgolts.diff.ur.var.is/elsgolts_diff_ur_var_is.tar.gz

These are extensive and probably hard to read, but the core
functionality is located in epdf/epdfxref.tex

The PDF file compiled out of these sources can be downloaded
(about 1.8M) from

  http://geolsoft.freeshell.org/elsgolts.diff.ur.var.is/elsgolts_diff_ur_var_is.pdf.gz

The book is in Russian but you can still see the hyperlinks.