[tex-eplain] \leavevmode in front of hyperlinks

geolsoft at mail.ru geolsoft at mail.ru
Sat Jul 23 20:30:39 CEST 2005

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 06:41:54PM +0200, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> I think \leavevmode should be issued always, to get consistent behaviour.
>
> IOW, I think Knuth-style strict backward-compatibility should be sacrificed
> for consistency inside the new version of eplain.  What do you think?

Well, the driver `nolinks' certainly has to define \@hlstart
to produce \leavevmode, otherwise `nolinks' will no longer
provide identical typesetting which is its only reason for
existence.

As for \hloff / \hlon, I think it will also be a good idea
to produce the \leavevmode even when links are (temporarily)
off.  Otherwise the following code (placed in vertical mode)
will give different results depending on what state we are
in:

  \hlstart{}{}{LABEL}
  Text of the link\hlend.

When \hloff (and therefore no \leavevmode) there will be no
space before `Text'; when \hlon (meaning \leavevmode) there
will be the space.  This is bound to confuse the user.

--
Best regards,
Oleg Katsitadze