[tex-eplain] Hyperlinks in Eplain

Daniel H. Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Thu Jul 21 21:52:15 CEST 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Karl Berry wrote:

>     dvips will be added, which one is to be the `fall-back' driver?
>
> Can one get live hyperlinks in a pdf made via dvips|ps2pdf?  I have
> never been clear about this.  If so, dvips should be the default.
> Otherwise, I guess dvipdfm[x] is the only option for dvi output.

Yes. If you use latex + hyperref with the dvips driver, one gets most of
the functionality of hyperref (the only exception I know of is that
links cannot extend over a linebreak). One needs to run dvips with the
-z option.

>     Imagine we do fall back on dvipdfm driver but instead of using
>     dvipdfm, user will use some other .dvi converter which also issues
>     warnings on unknown specials.  Won't it be annoying to have these
>     warnings?
>
> I don't think so; instead, it will be informative, telling the user that
> they should specify a different driver, since our guessed default was wrong.

Well, hyperref has a "hypertex" fallback, which produces specials
understood by several .dvi viewers (and dvips, I think). I believe
the functionality is limited, but I've never tried it. The annoyance
factor would be rather low in that case.

--
Dan Luecking
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences