[tex-eplain] Hyperlinks in Eplain

geolsoft at mail.ru geolsoft at mail.ru
Sun Jul 3 10:49:19 CEST 2005

On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 02:56:24PM -0400, Karl Berry wrote:
[...]
> Well, this is nothing for right now, but my opinion is that every link
> should be the same color by default, and the color should be
> sufficiently dark that will not print as a light gray on b&w printers.
> Here is one dark red color like that:
>   \definecolor{refcolor}{cmyk}{0.28,1,1,0.35}

Made a note.

[...]
>     Any ideas how these problems could be handled best?
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.  Since the different systems
> handle bookmarks in different ways, we're stuck with it.
>
> I think bookmarks are pretty much a separable issue.  Making links for
> equations and cross-references seems like a good first step.  Or how
> about just explicit live url's?  That would probably get far more use
> than anything else, although it's not easy to implement and is kind of a
> separate issue from the internal references.

What I mean is this.  The solution I use requires the two
external scripts for processing intermediate files.  Of
course it would be preferable to avoid this and do
everything from inside TeX.  But I am not sure I could
handle that.  Well, I'll try my way and see what comes of
it.

Anyway, I agree it is better to take one step at a time.
I've got hyperlink destinations pretty much in place now for
equations / xrefs / page refs / lists, and am trying to get
the links in (including url links).  As soon as that is
ready I think I better post the draft patch, to make sure I
am on the right track.

I have a suggestion.  As you know, the crossreferencing /
equation macros do not take any optional arguments.  But
with hyperlinks I think they all could take an optional text
which would become part of the hyperlink.  For example, if
you say

  in \eqref[equation]{EQ-LABEL}

you should get something like

  in equation~(3)

with the entire phrase `equation~(3)' constituting the link
to that equation, not only the equation's number `(3)'.
(The tie after the text will not be hardcoded, it will be a
customizable parameter.)  Should I do this?

--
Best regards,
Oleg Katsitadze