[tex-eplain] Problem with \pageref{

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Sep 21 20:55:15 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 14:28, Karl Berry wrote:
>     The latest eplain.tex  on CTAN is 2.8.1 from 2000.
>
> What file on what CTAN are you looking at?  dante.ctan.org has 2.8.4 as
> far as I can see.
>
>     It is still a problem there. The version on TeXLive is also 2.8.1.
>
> TL 2003 of course doesn't include anything released since the CD was
> cut. The TL 2004 development source has 2.8.4.  (I updated it a few days
> ago after Dorai released it.)  http://tug.org/texlive/tldevsrc.
>
>     Where do I go for a newer eplain.tex?
>
> In addition to Dorai's page, which is the ultimate source, I try to keep
> ftp://tug.org/tex/eplain/ up to date.
>
> Cheers,
> karl
OK I downloaded 2.8.4 with creation date of Sep 5, 2004,  renamed it
eplain.foo (to make sure I was getting the most recent copy and not some
old version laying around) did
\input eplain.foo
in my master file, and still got the same error. As I recall the error is
generated by something obscure about using ^^L for a page break, but the
actual error message from texexec is:

 (./eplain.foo
! Use of \def doesn't match its definition.
l.79 \def\hpenalty
                  {\ifvmode\leavevmode\fi \penalty}%

 If I comment out line 77 in eplain.foo thus:
%\def^^L{\par}%

then the error message goes away.  Since line 77 is not essential to the
rest of the package AFAIK then commenting out line 77 is the small change
I suggest for those who want to use eplain in a Context run.

If it could be foxed in the official version of course that would be even
better.
--
John Culleton

Short list of publishing/marketing books: