[tex-eplain] makeindex breaks up index group on a capitalized entry

geolsoft at mail.ru geolsoft at mail.ru
Mon Aug 23 12:24:27 CEST 2004

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 11:12:46AM +0200, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> > $ echo $LC_CTYPE; echo $LC_COLLATE
> > LC_COLLATE=ru_RU.KOI8-R
> > LC_CTYPE=ru_RU.KOI8-R
>
> I suppose you take care to export _both_ of these.

Yes.

> Have you tried setting LC_ALL=ru_RU.KOI8-R; export LC_ALL ?

I've just tried---didn't help.

> When you look at the source (download tetex-src-2.0.2.tar.gz, unpack,
> cd tetex-src-2.0.2/texk/makeindexk), you find that the comparison is in
> function new_entry() in file genind.c and relies on first_letter() from
> the same file; this in turn relies on macro TOLOWER from mkind.h, which
> relies on isupper and tolower from system library (libc).
>
> There must be a bug somewhere there; perhaps upgrading glibc would help.
> If you have a test system nearby, try installing another Debian there
> with another version of glibc there.

I surely will try this; I was planning an upgrade anyway.
Unfortunately all I have for my Internet connection is a
stone-age 33.6 dial-up, if you still remember what that is.
So I order my Debians from an Internet shop and it can take
more than a week for the order to be delivered.  As soon as
I receive the upgrade I will see if it helps, and inform you
of the results.

Many thanks,
Oleg Katsitadze