[tex-eplain] Inserting TeX in Xfig

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Nov 21 01:52:35 CET 2003

    Is there an easy way to incorporate TeX source text (in math mode)
    in an Xfig figure, for the purpose of labelling arrows etc.?

I googled for  xfig tex label  and found:
http://hilbert.math.albany.edu:8800/hm/emj/1996/msg00123.html

Another link, which talks about latex but does not seem to be too deeply
wedded to it:
http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~rbenkocz/personal/xfig/mathxfig.html

The faq answer mentions the psfrag latex package, which could perhaps be
adapted:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=labelfig

Unfortunately I don't see an easy answer that "just works".  From what I
gather, some people are producing figures in MetaPOST or Metafont, which
have better support for labels.  I wonder if there is something like
pstricks for plain TeX.

Anyway, if none of these satisfy, you might write to texhax at tug.org or
comp.text.tex, since those will reach many more people.  Be sure to
mention what you've tried and why it's insufficient :).

Hope this helps (a little),
karl