[tex-eplain] \doublecolumns-solution found..

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Dec 11 22:18:49 CET 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 06:33 pm, John Culleton wrote:
> I am trying to insert a header line folowed by two columns of
> information. Somehow the \doublecolumns commnad wipes out the
> header line. If I just delete the \doublecolumns command the
> header line reappears. I have tried putting \vskip \vglue etc
> betwenthe header line and the \doublecolumns command but
> nothing seems to work.

Further on the above.  Actually I was enclosing the
\doublecolumns command in a macro. If I pull it out of the macro
everyting works OK.

Here is the macro:
\def\startcols#1{%
    \parindent=0pt
    \parskip=.5em
    \hfil\bf Chapter #1: Terms and Concepts\hfil\endgraf
   % \doublecolumns
    }
If I use the above form and say:
\startcols{2}
\doublecolumns
...then everything works as intended. But if I uncomment the
\doublecolumns statement in the above macro and then eliminate it
from the main file the "Terms and Concepts" line disappears.
So there is some interaction between the macro and the
\doublecolumns statement that I don't comprehend. But a least I
have a workaround.

--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers