[tex-eplain] Multiple column Gotcha

Gérald Tenenbaum Gerald.Tenenbaum@ciril.fr
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:01:52 +0200

>I was having trouble with triple columns. I discovered that I cannot
>use \columnfill at the end of the last column. I presume the same
>limitation affects double and quad columns. FYI
>
>John Culleton

Hi,

Here is another very bad bug with multiple columns that has remained
unfixed for ages now.

À (At) 13:56 -0500 27/01/01, Dorai Sitaram écrivait (wrote) :
>Hi.  This bug was reported by Gerald Tenenbaum
>(tenenb@arcturus.ciril.fr) and a fix is eluding me.
>If wizard would look at it I would much appreciate it.
>
>The first line following a \doublecolumns that is
>closed almost at the end of a page is being typeset on
>the same page, on a line by itself, without a
>companion line from the second column to match it.  It
>does not appear as if the second column is inserting
>spurious space on top.  Rather, the first column should
>have been pushed into the following page along with
>the other columns.  Here is the test file:

% Gerald Tenenbaum, tenenb@arcturus.ciril.fr
% 7 Jan 2001

\input eplain
\vsize 30mm
\hsize 100mm

This is an example of an apparent bug in double columns.
This is an example of an apparent bug in double columns.
This is an example of an apparent bug in double columns.
This is an example of an apparent bug in double columns.
This is an example of an apparent bug in double columns.
This is an example of an apparent bug in double columns.
This is an example of an apparent bug in double columns.

\doublecolumns
This is an example of an apparent bug in double columns.
\singlecolumn

Kindest regards,

Gerald