[tug-summer-of-code] A hyperlinked and highlighted version of sample2e.tex

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Mar 22 23:40:11 CET 2009

On 23/03/2009, at 7:01 AM, Jonathan Fine wrote:

> Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>>>                                                       Sadly, TUG
>>> did not this year accept us as a mentoring organisation.
>>   I hope you mean Google :-)
>
> Yes, you're right here.  I was wanting to say that "TUG was not
> accepted this year ...", but changed construction in mid-phrase.
>
> Arthur:  Do you have any helpful or encouraging comment about the
> work I reported in my message?

Surely there should be some extra blank lines (via <br/>)
within this block:

>>> The ends  of words and sentences are marked
>>>   by   spaces. It  doesn't matter how many
>>> spaces    you type; one is as good as 100.  The
>>> end of   a line counts as a space.
>>>

>>> One   or more   blank lines denote the  end
>>> of  a paragraph.

Otherwise the intention is lost.

Also, it's interesing that the HTML coding you generate
has no DOCTYPE, so cannot be validated, except in the most
generic sense.

With a line such as:

>>> class=chars>{document}

I'd prefer to see home-grown attribute values properly quoted; viz,

>>> a><span class="chars">{document}

so as to be more consistent with XHTML usage.
That way you'd be able to Copy/Paste, or otherwise include, such
automatically-generated HTML coding within Wikis, etc.

I have other comments too, regarding source-code layout.
But these aren't generally adopted.

e.g., I really hate the use of \ip as a macro name.

  1- and 2-letter (lowercase) names for home-grown macros
should be completely discouraged, as there is too great
a chance of a clash with the macro for a letter or special
character that can occur in a foreign script or language.
(Just think of what this would do to someone's name that
may need that letter, in a bibliographic entry, say.)

When producing materials that are intended to teach people
how to use LaTeX, then some thought should be given to
avoiding such undesirable practices.

> --
> Jonathan

Hope this helps,