[tug-summer-of-code] Project ideas

Matthew Leingang leingang at courant.nyu.edu
Mon Mar 9 13:36:08 CET 2009

Hi Kittipat,

So glad you're interested in the project!  Hi Peter, too.

On Mar 8, 2009, at 7:59 PM, Peter Flynn wrote:

> Kittipat Virochsiri wrote:
> [snip]
>> The limitation of this approach is that the metadata model must be
>> able to be encoded in RDF. The more generic solution would be
>> implementing XML library at the base level but I think that would
>> be too complicated.
>
> This is probably true; implementing a library-catalog-quality
> metadata framework is almost certainly overkill for most people's
> documents. So long as the way remains open for someone to do so later.

There's a reason I proposed to limit the lowest tier to the Dublin
Core Abstract Model.  There are metadata encodings in XML and RDF, and
both have their uses and consumers, but roundtripping between them is
neither trivial nor lossless [in particular, I'm interested in
Learning Object Metadata, which has an accepted XML binding but not
RDF yet].  So I proposed DCAM, from which XML and RDF could be
generated.

Your other question was about a way to provide new methods should new
metadata applications arise.  I'm thinking in terms of tiered
architecture (PGF and TikZ is a good example).  I don't want authors
to have to be metadata experts or to understand the underlying data
structure.  If it's too complicated, nobody will use it.

--Matthew Leingang

--
Matthew Leingang
Clinical Associate Professor of Mathematics
leingang at cims.nyu.edu