[tug-summer-of-code] Project idea: LaTeX3 "microkernel"

Jonathan Fine jfine at pytex.org
Sun Mar 8 14:27:06 CET 2009

Will Robertson wrote:

>> It would help if the LaTeX3 project adopted a programming environment
>> that could produce macros for both the secure and traditional
>> environments.
>
> The current expl3 is set up to provide this already. There is an option
> when l3names is processed to remove all of the old TeX primitives from
> the user namespace; this automatically makes any documents processed
> "secure", since users can't change catcodes and the only commands
> provided to them are "document-level" macros.

Yes, I already knew about this option.  But neither the traditional nor
the secure environments use \cs_set_eq:NN as the name for \let, which is
what follows from your suggestion.

<snip>

> Back to my question: what are the obstacles in providing a "secure
> LaTeX2e" for MathTran? I'm guessing you'd need to create your own fork
> of the LaTeX kernel plus the packages you want to support [1], and then
> re-implement them with primitives that aren't in the user namespace.
> Would this be enough work for a GSoC project?

I am reluctant to 'fork' LaTeX.  I'd much rather work with the LaTeX3
project to produce a secure variant of the relevant style and core
files.  Are you up for that?

--
Jonathan