[tug-summer-of-code] Simplifying TeX's \tracingall output

J.Fine J.Fine at open.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 18:37:39 CET 2009

Hello

Here's some more information.

The log file has a lot of redundancy (much of which is not due to macro
expansion, I think).  Gzip reduces it by a factor of 12.
$ gzip --stdout small2e.log  | wc -c
69575

$ wc -c small2e.log
876069 small2e.log

I've also made a frequency-count frequency-count (attached).
$ sort small2e.log | uniq -c | cut -b-8 | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn -k2
| small2e.freq

This shows, for example, that
   1 line appears 5745 times (it's a blank line)
  10 lines appear 103 times (perhaps same macro expanded 10 times)
3342 lines are unique

I find it innovative and interesting, but have some doubts about it
being practical and useful.  I suggest we do some a small feasibility
and usefulness study before deciding on this proposal.

Jonathan