[tug-summer-of-code] Project idea: Hyperlinked syntax highlighting for TeX code

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 09:02:46 CET 2009

On 16/02/2009, at 5:50 PM, Jonathan Fine wrote:

> This project has three parts.  The first is providing enhanced
> syntax highlighting for TeX code.  The second is creating a commands
> database.  The third is linking together the first and second parts.

The highlighting part is easy enough, right? All editors can do that
capably enough (although understanding keyval lists would be novel).
And the commands database should be straightforward albeit tedious.

The value in this sort of system for me would be to provide the
information in such a way that interactive editors could use it as
well as pretty-printing engines. Having auto-complete and spell check
while writing documents/package would be quite the value proposition.

With a system in place to support these ideas, formats such as LaTeX3
could provide features to aid integrating the syntax of new packages
into whatever this system is. (Such as producing a listing for CTAN of
all macros defined in a package.)

Ideas such being able to understand package and class options in LaTeX
would fit into this concept, as well. Even a short description (taken
from the CTAN catalogue) of what each package/class is.

* * *

So clearly there's scope for this sort of project; the utility of it
hinges fairly drastically around being able to be actually used
somewhere -- and where better than the TeXworks editor?

If there is more than one student interested, it would be possible to
get one working on the hyperlinked pretty-printing engine, and another
working on incorporating it into TeXworks.

Hmmm. Interesting stuff.

Will