[tug-summer-of-code] A couple of project proposals

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Feb 14 23:49:53 CET 2009

    Maybe.  Could you point me to more information on the
    requirements/desiderata for a project proposal (length, major
    sections, level of detail, etc.)?

Besides Arthur's links, see also
http://gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas.html (the other org I'm
involved with :).

As you can see, proposals vary dramatically.  The Leingang/Flynn
proposal on tug.org/gsoc is one of the longest and most detailed I've
ever seen.  The ones on GNU are generally just a paragraph or two
outlining the major items in the task.

Think of them as "project ideas", not proposals.  We're not applying for
a grant -- in general, there is no need to go into great detail.  Part
of what makes a GSoC project successful is the student being invested in
learning about the area.  If they can't be bothered to flesh out a
project proposal, it's highly unlikely they'll succeed in writing any
useful code.

To sum up, your original paragraph written to the list, plus some of the
subsequent details, looked pretty reasonable to me as an "idea".