[tug-summer-of-code] A couple of project proposals

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Feb 13 15:03:10 CET 2009

> Scott, this is a very hard project, and may require skills you don't
> have, such as high-performance and Canvas JavaScript.  (I don't have
> these skills, and I consider myself a JavaScript expert.)

  But we're not restricted to using Javascript, right?  Why couldn't it
be, say, a Java applet or something?

> I will make again the point I made earlier, which is that unless we can
> obtain suitable handwriting recognition code, the project is not
> practical (even though it may be great fun to try).

  Gáspár Sinai's Unicode editor Yudit (http://www.yudit.org/) has had
handwriting recognition for years, and it seems to be based on Java code
(see http://www.cs.arizona.edu/projects/japan/JavaDict/ linked from
yudit.org).  Of course, the focus there was on Kanji, but I don't see
why it couldn't be adapted to general symbols.  And it's meant to be
used with the mouse.

	Arthur