[tug-summer-of-code] GSOC Final Mentor Program Survey

Jonathan Fine jfine at pytex.org
Sun Aug 31 11:20:47 CEST 2008

Here are my answers to the survey results.

Jonathan

1. How much time have you spent working on Summer of Code tasks that did
not include mentoring your own student since the midterm evaluation,
e.g. mentoring other students, program administration, writing new
developer documentation?
0 - 5 hours per week
Comments:
I spent quite a lot of time establishing the software context within
which I wanted my student to work. Mostly, this was writing JavaScript
utilities and tools. It also included finding out exactly how JavaScript
did things. I estimate the time spent doing this as 5 hours a week over
the whole project, but some weeks it was more like 6 or 8.

2. If there was one thing you wish you had known before getting started
in Summer of Code, what would it be? (required)

This project was to write JavaScript for using TeX as a web service.
Myself, the organisation and the student knew a lot about TeX, but not
that much about JavaScript. I wish I knew ahead of time just how many
difficulties there are in writing good JavaScript code. I knew there
were problems, but I did not appreciate the extent of them. There seem
to be so many gotchas in the language itself, let alone its relationship
to the DOM.

3. If there was one thing you wish your students had known before
getting started in Summer of Code, what would it be? (required)

I can speak here only for my own project - mathtran-javascript. I think
it would have helped if my student had known more about object oriented
programming.

4. Given your experience this year, would you change your applicant
selection process should you participate in a future Summer of Code?
Our selection process worked very well for us and we would not change it.
We would do things differently next year.
Comments:
I'd like to make some small changes and perhaps one or two big changes.
See my answers to the other questions for details.

5. Please describe your applicant selection process. (required)

I was not involved in TUG's GSOC program from the beginning. My
understanding of what happened is as follows. TUG became a mentoring
organisation because two persons associated with TUG wished to
participate in GSOC as students. Much to the credit of TUG, and
particularly its president (Karl Berry), TUG applied to be a mentoring
organisation and put out a call for projects. At this point I added
mathtran-javascript to the list of project ideas, and several students
applied. As I recall, it became clear fairly soon that the top three
projects were those of the two students who approached TUG, and mine.
For the former, there was effectively only one student applicant. For
mathtran-javascript there were several strong student candidates, and
almost entirely the decision there was mine. At this point we want to
know how many slots Google would give us. If it was less than three then
we would have to make some hard decisions. Fortunately, we did get three.

6. What would you do differently for future instances of Summer of Code
should you participate again? (required)

I would like to seek and publicise project ideas well in advance of the
application deadlines. I'd also be pleased if TUG and the TeX users
community were to discuss what the software developments needs were. I'd
also like to link up early with other potential mentoring organisations
who were doing related work.

7. What worked very well for your organization? (required)

I think the discussion between the project mentors went fairly well.
This is TUG's first year in GSOC, and so as a result I don't think there
was anything that worked very well. The GSOC web pages and forms (such
as this one) worked well.

8. What advice would you give to future would-be Summer of Code
mentoring organizations? (required)

Start as early as you can, as solicit input from across the whole
community of users. Even if this does not directly contribute to the
GSOC participation, it will bring other benefits. Make contact with
other organisations in related areas who have already participated in GSOC.

9. What advice would you give to future would-be Summer of Code students
who would like to work with your organization? (required)

I think there's a lot that needs to be done in bringing the TeX
community up to date with recent developments in the internet and web
pages. So I'd like to see projects along the lines, say, of setting up a
Django-based (that's my preference) TeX community web site. Or paste
bins and source code syntax highlighters. Therefore, my advice is this.
Don't worry that you don't know a great deal about TeX (although such
knowledge will always be helpful). Rather, think about the skills that
you do have, and how they might help the TeX community.

10. Please indicate the prior years in which you have participated in
Google Summer of Code (check all that apply). Select the first choice
("2008 is my first year participating in Summer of Code") *only* if you
have *not* participated in Google Summer of Code in years prior to 2008.
2008 is my first year participating in Summer of Code.

11. Please indicate how you participated previously in Summer of Code
(check all that apply).
I did not participate previously in Google Summer of Code.

12. Please describe your past SoC participation in detail. If you did
not participate previously, please write in "Not applicable". (required)
Not applicable.

13. Would you like to recieve the program t-shirt? (Please note: Unless
you answer yes here, you will not receive the Summer of Code 2008
t-shirt. Believe it or not, some people don't want them. No, we will not
send you a shirt that someone else refuses.)
Yes