[tug-summer-of-code] Extension of Unicode capabilities

Sean Burke leftmostcat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 02:58:07 CEST 2008

TUG,

    I would like to work on improving Unicode compliance within TeX and
was hoping to receive some feedback on choosing a specific project and
writing an application. I'm a linguistics student and Unicode compliance
is thus a must-have for me. I have some experience working with Unicode
data and algorithms and have, largely as a test for myself, written an
implementation of the Unicode normalization algorithm.

    One idea I had was to work on implementing the Unicode Collation
Algorithm but I'm not sure how important this is in the grand scheme of
things. The bidi or line breaking algorithms would also be interesting
projects and ones I would like to work on. As it stands, though, I'm not
too sure about judging whether these would be the right amount of work
for GSoC or which would be particularly useful. The one common thing
that I think would be needed is a good way to integrate character
properties in such a way that any of the given algorithms will be able
to access the information they need. This alone I think would take a
fair bit of careful planning.

    The remaining part of my purpose for writing this is to get a bit of
guidance on writing up the application. Looking at the template, I find
that I'm not really sure about how to specifically address tracking of
progress and the mid-term evaluation. Would it be helpful to break the
proposed project into milestones and describe some manner of assessing
progress toward them? Feedback on this would be appreciated, especially
from Mr. Muller.

Sean Burke