[tug-summer-of-code] GSoC participation

Kirill Zotin kzotin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 15:00:42 CET 2008

Hello,

I am really fond of Open Source Software ideas, that's why Google's SoC very
interested me. Currently I am studying at Applied Mathematics faculty of
Dnepropetrovsk National University, Ukraine (http://www.dsu.dp.ua). I think
your project is one of the most attractive from thementors list, because
I've already been using TeX during my education, and know how significantly
it can help to work with sophisticated mathematical formulas etc.

I have some ideas how to improve JavaScript support in MathTran service:

 - Add client cache support

 - JavaScript could check if formula has already been sent to translate, and
do not repeat this work twice

 - Some client-side formula validation (e. g. check each opened bracket has
corresponding closed one, use dictionary of known TeX commands etc...) to
prevent translation of wrong formulas

 - Refactor script to make it browser independent

 - Make script as good as possible :)

I'm sure a lot of other ideas will appear during our communication.

Looking forward for reply.

Thanks and Regards,
Kirill Zotin
kzotin at gmail.com <vmuravitskiy at luxoft.com>