[tug-summer-of-code] Working on a TeX Project for the Google Summer of Code 2008 (MathTran)

Cesar Agustin Garcia Vazquez cesarnda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 02:35:00 CET 2008

<summer-of-code at tug.org>

Cesar Agustin Garcia Vazquez (cesarnda at gmail.com)

I am willing to participate in the improvement of JavaScript support in
MathTran, but also, adding the output option.
As a TeX user I can tell that I have been many times in the need of writing
a document in TeX and publish it in the web. There are several ways of doing
this but I have not found one that really satisfies me. The main problem is
the mapping from pdf to .html or from .tex to .html. There are many users
who write their tex code in linux, Windows, Mac or any other OS and and wish
to publish their work. Mostly do this by downloading the right software for
their OS to do the convertion.
This project may help many people by doing the convertion directly on the
web page. I suggest to make work totally on Firefox and work with IE later.
The reason of doing this is the lack of standards for JavaScript; I, as a
JavaScript user, have dealed with this kind of problems when my script works
perfectly fine in firefox and does nothing in IE. I will be work in the gif
output format mainly and in the jpeg format. This will help TeX users to
write their TeX code anywhere with anything and get the results anywhere
they are by just having an internet connection.

I think it is important to add Java to work directly on the server if the
convert-all-document funcionality is added. JavaScript will be kept, and the
parser will be improved. The documentation which will be updated will be the
one that is need to be updated, that is, everychange I do in the project,
everychange I do in the documentation. That is, I will write the
documentation of everything I do and the documentation of how what I do
works with what is done. One of the greatest things about TeX is the
automatic enumeration. That is why I propose to convert the whole file if
needed to be published. If the format of the TeX file is a book, the
chapters can be put in different web pages to have a sort of order.

The project can be tracked by checking what can be done and what is missing.
That depends on the final project to be done.
I can contact the mentor by e-mail and by phone and also by msn messenger.

This project appeal to me because I have worked with LaTeX (MikTeX 2.8 now)
durint two years and I have loved it. I love everything related to TeX and
Math and this project will really help me to publish several documents that
I have been wanting to publish but I have not been able to because of my
lack of software to convert my .tex files into html files.

So, I will have to learn how this project is already working and whatever is
to be learned to start on it.
I will be very thankful for hearing from you telling me what is missing for
the student template.

P.S. You want to do something like this
http://www.lawebdefisica.com/software/latextest.php but bigger isn't it???