[tug-summer-of-code] [tug-board] Better Unicode compliance -- XeTeX and LuaTeX are not versions of TeX

Jonathan Fine jfine at pytex.org
Fri Mar 14 08:11:15 CET 2008

Karl Berry wrote:
>          http://tug.org/gsoc/ideas.html
>     says that it "would give rise to a much more fully Unicode-compliant
>     version of TeX".
>
> I agree "extension" is better than "version" here.  I changed it.
>
> karl

This is in response to a message that did not get to the SOC list
(because I sent it to 'request' rather than the SOC list - sorry).

The message is as below

==
The project proposal on
     http://tug.org/gsoc/ideas.html
says that it "would give rise to a much more fully Unicode-compliant
version of TeX".

As we all know, the version numbers of TeX are converging to $\pi$, and
TeX's author Donald Knuth has asked the TeX community to put "severe
pressure on any person or group who produces any incompatible system and
calls it TeX".

I ask that in the quote above "version" be replaced by "extension", and
that the remainder of the proposal text be carefully reviewed to ensure
that it conforms to Knuth's wishes in this matter.

Making these changes will not make the proposal less attractive.

--
Jonathan
===