[pstricks] Randomly-Sized Drops with pst-marble

Joel C. Salomon joelcsalomon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 17:38:20 CET 2019

The version 1.2 release of pst-marble replaces random-drops
with Gaussian-drops and uniform-drops, which provide very useful control
over where the drops are placed, but which lose the feature of the drops
having random size.

Would replacing

0 0 1010 1010 0 (4691CB) 100 10 uniform-drops

with something like

100 { 0 0 1010 1010 0 (4691CB) 1 random:uniform 2 mul 9 add uniform-drops }
repeat

be the right way to get this back? Or would I be better off trying to
define a variant of uniform-drops—and how would I do that?

(I’m using 1010 so some drops are centered outside the image.)

IIRC, random-drops used a Gaussian distribution for size, but I’m reading
pst-marble.pro and not understanding PostScript well enough to adopt the
code in random:normal2. Is the old code available somewhere in a public
repository?

—Joel C. Salomon