[pstricks] pst-optexp: Custom component with multiple reflections?

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Fri Jul 1 19:30:04 CEST 2016

Dear all,

I am a beginner when it comes to pstricks, and the main reason I started
looking into it is the pst-optexp package. I have to illustrate rays
passing through geometrical structures frequently, and getting this
integrated into my latex documents sounds too good to be true. I am
looking into modeling of reflective surfaces, like venetian blinds (a
stack of repeated profiles), and started implementing them as custom
components with \newOptexpTripole. The diffuse reflection from a rough
surface in the manual was my starting point.

I have been defining one profile as custom component. Then I am placing
several instances of that component to build the blinds.
I need to trace rays so that a) the upper profile shades part of the
lower profile, and b) the rays reaching the lower profile and getting
reflected upward must stop at the upper profile. So a typical ray would
be A->profile1->profile2->profile1->B. Some rays end on the outside of
the system (A), others get transmitted to the inside (B). Is this
actually possible with pst-optexp? At the moment, I use

\multido{\r=+2}{20}{%
\psset[optexp]{raytrace=true}
\drawbeam[beamangle=-45, beampos=\r](A){}{profile2}
}%end multido

This reflects the shading (start->profile1->profile2), but does not show
reflections from profile2.

\drawbeam[beamangle=-45, beampos=\r](A){profile2}(B)

This shows reflections from profile 2 correctly, but rays are simply
passing through profile1.

Another way would be to define several profiles as one combined custom
component. In this case, I would need a way to define multiple
reflections within a component.

Has anyone used pst-optexp for such an application so far? I guess it is
the drawbeam concept that is confusing me, but I am also not sure wether
it is possible at all to have rays not simply sequentially passing
through a chain of components, but getting reflected back and forth.

I will try to set up an example as soon as possible, but my more general
doubts made me ask this right now...

Thank you, regards, Lars.