[pstricks] Fwd: Re: Compiling on TeXShop

Tue Oct 23 11:31:25 CEST 2012

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: [pstricks] Compiling on TeXShop
Datum: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 08:01:52 +0100
Von: Luis Sequeira <lfsequeira at fc.ul.pt>
An: <pstricks at tug.org>

> Hi
> I am writing trigonometry and needs lots of diagrams.
> As a beginner, I bought a book, by Herbert Voss : Graphics and PostScript
> for TeX and LaTeX.
>
> I use TeXShop: 2.37
> My TeXShop setting: Typeset button:TeX and DVI
> Typeset button: XeLaTeX
>
> I compile the code as follows. I have these warnings.  I have a blank pdf
> file output.
> Appreciate any leads to this troubleshooting tips.
> regards
> Mark
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{pst-all}
> \usepackage{pstricks}
> \pagestyle{empty}
> \usepackage{fontenc}
> \usepackage{pstricks-add}
> \usepackage{pst-pdf}
>
> \begin{document}
> \psset{algebraic=true}
> \pspicture(-2,-0.5)(2,2)
> \psline{<->}(-2,0)(2,0)
> \psline{->}(0,-0.5)(0,2)
> \psplot{-1.5}{1}{x*x+x}
> \endpspicture
> \end{document}

Unless you need to use XeLaTeX for other reasons, it is simpler to keeo
with the old latex+dvips+ps2pdf route.

This is trivial to achieve in TeXShop: just add the line

%! TEX TS-program = latex

at the beginning of the file (this is  a comment as far as TeX is
concerned; TeXShop uses these kind of lines to determine how to process
the file - in this case, use the old way)
This way you don't need to change your preferences in any way.

You must omit the fontenc package if you go this route.

Also, use \begin{pspicture} and \end{pspicture} instead of the Plain TeX
commands \pspicture and \endpspicture.

With these changes, your document typeset perfectly im my mac (I also
use TeXShop every day :-)).

Luis Sequeira