[pstricks] [pst-coil] Question concerning period

Carsten Vogel texnicer at web.de
Thu Jan 26 07:06:27 CET 2012

Dear List!

My aim is to create a "coiled framed box" in order to typeset this
element: http://bayimg.com/DAmPOaADc (CAUTION-Box). Easy, consistent and
flexible solutions very welcome.

In order to do so, I started using pst-coil as a frame around this text.
Lately I have been wondering about the usage of "period" in pst-coil.
I can hardly understand, why coilwidth and coilheight are related, but I
cannot understand why "period=" does not have an effect here.

To me it is neither "Periodenlänge" (length) nor "Periodenanzahl"
(absolute value/number of periods occuring).

In my example:
1) period approx 3,5
2) period > 10

\documentclass[]{article}
\usepackage{pst-coil}
\begin{document}
\pspicture(5,2)
\pnode(1,1.5){A}\pnode(4,1.5){B}\pnode(1,.5){C}\pnode(4,.5){D}
\nccoil[coilarm=0,coilaspect=0,coilwidth=.9,periods=4]{A}{B}
\nccoil[coilarm=0,coilaspect=0,coilwidth=.1,periods=4]{C}{D}
\endpspicture
\end{document}

Looking forward to explainations of "period" and - even more - simpler
solutions drawing such a coilbox (slanted line)?

Yours,
Carsten