[pstricks] smoothing 3d plot (pst-3dplot with fileplotThreeD)

Wed Nov 2 11:10:01 CET 2011

Am 02.11.2011 10:18, schrieb Toche, Patrick:

 > This is my first post at pstricks-owner at tug.org. I have asked the
same question at comp.text.tex but it has now occurred to me that this
may be a more suitable discussion list. Do let me know if I'm posting in
the wrong place.

please subscribe to the list and do not write to the blist owner.

> I've got 3D data I want to turn into a beautiful graph using PSTricks and related LaTeX packages. The data comes from a differential equation system so I was looking at the pst-3dplot package and its \fileplotThreeD command, which allows me to load data from an external file and plot it.
>
> Refer to Section 19 of the guide, currently on pages 57-59, and hosted at http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/graphics/pstricks/contrib/pst-3dplot/ The example is based on the Roessler system, for a single trajectory.
>
> If you'd use a different package and approach to do this, feel free to let me know.
>
> My data is generated from a complicated simulation done in Maple and Matlab, more complicated than the Roessler system used here, too complicated to be written in PSTricks or Postscript language.
>
> I have several questions, actually. But only the first question is of importance.
>
> 1. Given the discrete data points, is there a way to smooth the line?

You can define the plotstyle, like curve or bezier

> In decreasing order of importance (at this juncture):
>
> 2. Is there an efficient way to load several trajectories, e.g. writing a loop, that would avoid the need to have each trajectory stored in a separate data file? If I had 20 trajectories, say, store in a single file.

please provide such a _short_ set of data records, e.g. 5 records

> 3. Is there a way to have normal labels, as opposed to the IIIDlabels?

can be done with \multido

> 4. Is there a simple way to draw boxed axes, or do they have to be drawn by hand?

not directly, but you can draw a 3d box

> 5. what does this do? IIIDshowgrid = true

ah, that should be deleted, the correct one
is \pstThreeDDot[drawCoor(4,1,5), which shows the coordinate
by lines of the style showCoorStyle

> 6. what does this do? IIIDxTicksPlane = xy

The ticks are drawn as 2d lines in the chosen plane