[pstricks] Difficulties with labelset

Scott, Randy Scott_Randy at sccollege.edu
Sun Sep 4 19:24:08 CEST 2011

Good Morning from California,

I been making my first excursions into PSTricks, asking for help on this list reading the documentation, and trying by doing.

However, I've run into a small problem.

I want to make a simple coordinate system, but I need to squeeze the labels along the x- and y-axes closer to the axies. It would seem the obvious choice is labelset. The documentation says the default is labelset=5pt.

Here is a minimal example:

\documentclass{report}
\usepackage{pstricks, pst-plot}

\begin{document}
\psaxes{->}(4,1.5)
\vspace*{1 in}

\psaxes[labelsep=1pt]{->}(4,1.5)
\vspace*{1 in}

\psaxes[labelsep=10pt]{->}(4,1.5)
\vspace*{1 in}

{\psset{labelsep=10pt}%
\psaxes{->}(4,1.5)}
\vspace*{1 in}

\begin{pspicture}(4.25,1.75)
\psaxes[labelsep=10pt]{->}(4,1.5)
\vspace*{1 in}
\end{pspicture}
\vspace*{1 in}

\begin{pspicture}(4.25,1.75)
\psset{labelsep=10pt}
\psaxes{->}(4,1.5)
\vspace*{1 in}

When I run this on my MacTeXLive 2011 system, the six sets of axes look exactly alike.

If you could please help me to understand the use of this parameter, I would certainly appreciate your time and trouble.

Sincerely,

Randy Scott
Associate Professor, Mathematics
Santiago Canyon College