[pstricks] New behaviour of ps4pdf and pdflatex after upgrade to texlive-2011

Juergen Rose rose at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Aug 1 16:50:07 CEST 2011

After the upgrade to texlive-2011 my scripts for creating of of beamer
and article pdf does not work as expected.

Let's start with a simple tex-file (spiral.tex) for creating a article
with an included Archimedean spiral
(Pictures/archimedean_spiral_par.tex)

'pdflatex spiral.tex' says:
..
! LaTeX Error: You have run the document with pdflatex, but PSTricks
               requires latex->dvips->ps2pdf or alternatively the use
               of the package `auto-pst-pdf'. Then you can run
                 `pdflatex -shell-escape <file>' (TeX Live)
               or
                 `pdflatex -enable-write18 <file>' (MikTeX).

OK, I add "\usepackage{auto-pst-pdf}" to spiral.tex' and call 'pdflatex
-shell-escape spiral.tex':
..
Output written on spiral.pdf (1 page, 19571 bytes).
Transcript written on spiral.log.

spiral.pdf looks OK. Now I try 'ps4pdf spiral.tex', it fails with:
..
Package ifplatform Warning:
    shell escape is disabled, so I can only detect \ifwindows.

)

! Package auto-pst-pdf Error:
    "shell escape" (or "write18") is not enabled:
    auto-pst-pdf will not work!
.

See the auto-pst-pdf package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.134         Or turn off auto-pst-pdf.}

OK, I turn again off auto-pst-pdf and try again 'ps4pdf spiral.tex':
rose at lynx:/home/rose/Txt/projects/Test_Project/Report(274)$ ps4pdf
spiral.tex
/usr/bin/ps4pdf: running latex
\AtBeginDocument{\RequirePackage{pst-pdf}} \input{spiral.tex}
/usr/bin/ps4pdf: running dvips -o spiral-pics.ps spiral.dvi
/usr/bin/ps4pdf: running ps2pdf -dAutoRotatePages=/None spiral-pics.ps
spiral-pics.pdf
/usr/bin/ps4pdf: running pdflatex
\AtBeginDocument{\RequirePackage{pst-pdf}} \input{spiral.tex}

The output spiral.pdf looks OK. Now let us pass to an little bit more
complicated example. I wrote two very small tex files
small_pstricks.article.tex and small_pstricks.beamer.tex both including
TeX/main_s.tex for creating an article and a presentation.
TeX/main_s.tex includes again Pictures/archimedean_spiral_par.tex.

There is no \usepackage{auto-pst-pdf} neither in
small_pstricks.article.tex, small_pstricks.beamer.tex nor in
TeX/main_s.tex.

 'ps4pdf small_pstricks.article.tex' and 'ps4pdf
small_pstricks.beamer.tes' are failing with:

! LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic in
small_pstricks.beamer-pics.pdf (no BoundingBox).
..
l.26   }

?
! Emergency stop.

I get the same error, if I add  \usepackage{auto-pst-pdf} to main_s.tex
and call 'pdflatex -shell-escape small_pstricks.beamer.tex' or 'pdflatex
-shell-escape small_pstricks.article.tex'.

So there are two remaining questions:

1st - Is this behaviour of pdflatex and ps4pdf (with and without
\usepackage{auto-pst-pdf}) intended and

2nd - What can I do that pdflatex or ps4pdf works with
small_pstricks.beamer.tex and small_pstricks.article.tex?

Regards