[pstricks] pst-bar With Non-Numeric Data?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jun 2 16:00:16 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Alan Ristow wrote:

> When I first wrote pst-bar I considered how to deal with this and other
> sorts of statistical data sets. Ultimately, I decided that the purpose of
> pst-bar should be to produce bar charts with a visual appearance
> compatible with the surrounding text and other graphics in the document.
> Accordingly, I left out data processing almost entirely, assuming that
> pst-bar would work only with preprocessed data.

Alan,

   Makes sense to me.

> If you are not tied to plotting your data with PSTricks and you are using
> R for analysis anyway, why not create the bar chart with R?

   I don't know the graphics packages well enough to create the necessary
visual. I do plot the data as a time series, but the horizontal size is too
narrow for 3 years' of data and each day is a thin vertical line. It will
take me less time to get back to speed on gnuplot for this type of
non-analytical graph than it would to learn more about plot(), hist(), or
ggplot2.

Thanks,

Rich