[pstricks] externalize pdf images with pstricks

Tue May 3 14:13:11 CEST 2011

Am 02.05.2011 22:53, schrieb mathias legrand:

> I'm planning to work on a Latex document with figures based on numerical
> simulations, mostly. I want to use pstricks but figure by figure only to
> get the respective pdf to be included in the main document (the latter
> being compiled by pdflatex). What I'd like to have is a folder with one
> pstricks tex file for each figure and a main tex document defining the
> pstricks parameters like color, with thickness and everything related to
> the figures. This main figure document would include
> \include{figures.tex} commands so that compiling selected figures could
> be possible. At the end of the compilation of this file, I should have a
> list of pdf files such as figure1.pdf, figure2.pdf.... correctly
> cropped. Is there somewhere a piece of code that does this job?

- you can run pst2pdf file, which creates in a subdirectory all
   images as pdf/png/eps/... (it is a perl script)
- you can use package auto-pst-pdf, which also creates
   an file with the external images. Needs no latex run.
   Instead you have to use "pdflatex -shell-escape file"
- Use xelatex and and you have nothing to do, it does
   all on-the-fly in the background.