[pstricks] First time trouble with PSTricks

mathias legrand legrand.mathias at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 03:42:03 CEST 2011

> I've just started using Latex, using the MikTex package, and I've run into a snag using PSTricks.  The long and short of it is that merely adding the line \usepackage{pstricks} or \usepackage{pst-all} causes compilation to fail.  I'm adding this line in the header after \documentclass{article} and before \begin{document} There is also a statement \usepackage{graphicx} before the pstricks statement but removing this doesn't seem to change the story.
> The error messages that seem relevent are: ("C:\Program Files (x86) \MiKTeX 2.8\tex\generic\pstricks\pst-fp.tex")pdflatex.exe: GUI framework cannot be initialized
> then some bibtex messages then: Couldn't find input index file: directory\filename or directory\filename.idx
> I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this and if they know what the problem might be.
> Thanks in advance.
> Mike

Mike,

it looks like you are compiling you latex source with pdflatex which is
not compatible with pstricks. Compile again with latex, then dvips and
then ps2pdf to get the final pdf file.

Also, you may want to have a look at the following document:

ftp://ctan.cms.math.ca/graphics/pstricks/scripts/pst2pdf/pst2pdf-doc.pdf