[pstricks] PSTricks graphs in a word document

Alexander Grahn A.Grahn at fzd.de
Wed Oct 20 14:44:52 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:44:21AM -0700, bereket T wrote:
>Dear all:
>
>I wish to use graphs drawn using PSTricks  into a Microsoft office word document. I tried by first converting the dvi file into pdf. Then copied and pasted them into the word document. Unfortunately, the graphs got blurred and are not as clear as in the pdf file when they get printed.

WMF/EMF is the only vector format Word supports natively, and AdobeReader
rasterizes the graphics while copying them using the Snapshot tool.

But you can still insert Encapsulated Postscript (EPS) files as vector
graphics into a Word document, provided the document is finally printed
on a Postscript printer or distilled to PDF using Acrobat or ps2pdf.

You will have to proceed as follows:

1) You need a one-page Postscript file of your PSTricks graphic, whose
page borders tightly encompass the graphic. This can be achieved by
means of the preview LaTeX package:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{pstricks}
\usepackage[tightpage,active]{preview}

\begin{document}
\begin{preview}\begin{pspicture}...
\end{pspicture}\end{preview}
\end{document}

2) Create an EPS with an embedded rasterized preview from the
LaTeX->dvips->ps2pdf output:

ps2epsi myfig.ps myfig.eps

The embedded preview allows you to identify the graphic while working
on the document in the Word application.

3) Embed the EPS into your Word doc via Insert->Picture->From File

4) Print the Word doc via a Postscript printer to get hard-copies or
a Postscript file, or distill it to PDF using Acrobat or convert the PS
output from the printer to PDF using ps2pdf.

Alexander