[pstricks] "starred" versions of put; arrows

Zbigniew Nitecki zbigniew.nitecki at tufts.edu
Wed Jul 14 02:17:24 CEST 2010

While what you say may be true for some 3d pictures (although "hidden lines" can make even such a picture easier to understand visually),
my need for this has to do with labels:  I have a surface, I mark a specific point on it, and I want to label that point.  Since the label needs
to visually connect to the point, I have two choices:  either I put the label near the point, in which case it may be unreadable if the surface
covers the field of view (in my case, it is a hyperboloid of one sheet) unless I block it out, or I need to place the label away from the point and
connect the label to the point with a line (or perhaps an arrow).
The easiest way to construct the latter kind of connection is a \pstThreeDLine joining the coordinates of the \pstThreeDPut command placing
the label to the coordinates of the point itself.  However, in this case the line starts in the middle of the label, and obscures part of it.  If the label
were in a box of the kind created by \rput* in 2d, then the line would emerge from behind that box, and would look just right.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155