[pstricks] Plotting Numeric Values Against Dates

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jun 14 20:46:07 CEST 2010

   I see my error in directly adapting bar0-3.tex as a template for my data.
However, reading the pst-plot doc doesn't make clear to me what function to
use instead of \listplot when the abscissa values are dates rather than
numbers. All of them appear to require the list of data points to be numeric
pairs separated by white space.

   What I need to produce is a figure with four plots on it:

   1) A bar graph of daily rainfall amounts over a defined range of dates;
maximum value is 4.66 inches (yes, a lot of rain in a single day here).

   2) A line graph of the cumulative rainfall mount over that time. Maximum
value 13+ inches.

   3) A line graph of the moving 3-day precipiation average amount. Maximum
value < 2.0 inches.

   4) A horizontal line at a threshold value of 17.96 inches.

   The abscissa is the range of dates and the ordinate is inches (0.0 - 18.0)

   I want a legend on this figure will use colors to distinguish the plots.

   If pst-plot is not appropriate, please point me to the most appropriate
package. If pst-plot is appropriate, please educate me on the proper use
when the first value is a date (functionally a text string) rather than a
number.

TIA,

Rich