[pstricks] discontinuous y-axis

Antoine Pairet antoine at pairet.be
Tue Apr 13 11:41:31 CEST 2010

Dear all,
Is there an option for psgraph environment to draw a discontinuous
y-axis? If not, is there such a functionality available in another
PSTrciks environment?

I am using psgraph and listplot to plot data from external files. The
graph shows the evolution of surface energy while the number of layers
in a slab is increased. For each type of slab, a convergence is observed
to a specific surface energy. Each convergence takes place in a range of
approx. 2O eV/Ang^2. The problem is that each convergence study is
separated by a large amount a white space. I would like to suppress this
white space by using a discontinuous y-axis:

^

//

//

|______________________>

I have not seen such an option in the documentation, but I could have
missed it. If you are aware of this option, please let me know.

If this option does not exist, what I plan to do is the following:
      * shift all the convergence values in order to suppress large
        white area
      * suppress the automatic drawing of the y-axis
      * manually construct a y-axis with \psline
      * manually place the ticks and labels on the y-axis

What do you think of this?

The PSTricks code I currently have is the following:

\begin{figure}
\centering
\pstScalePoints(1,1){}{23.5 sub}
\begin{psgraph}[Ox=3,Dx=2,Oy=23.5,Dy=5]{->}(3,0)(25,130){9cm}{20cm}

\listplot[plotstyle=dots,plotNo=3,plotNoMax=6]{\pOneOne}
\listplot[linecolor=green,plotstyle=dots,plotNo=6,plotNoMax=6]{\pOneOne}
\listplot[plotstyle=dots,plotNo=3,plotNoMax=6]{\TwoHpOneOne}
\listplot[linecolor=green,plotstyle=dots,plotNo=6,plotNoMax=6]{\TwoHpOneOne}
\listplot[plotstyle=dots,plotNo=3,plotNoMax=6]{\TwoHpOneOneFixed}
\listplot[linecolor=green,plotstyle=dots,plotNo=6,plotNoMax=6]{\TwoHpOneOneFixed}
\listplot[plotstyle=dots,plotNo=3,plotNoMax=6]{\HpOneOne}
\listplot[linecolor=green,plotstyle=dots,plotNo=6,plotNoMax=6]{\HpOneOne}
\listplot[plotstyle=dots,plotNo=3,plotNoMax=6]{\HpTwoOneA}
\listplot[linecolor=green,plotstyle=dots,plotNo=6,plotNoMax=6]{\HpTwoOneA}
\listplot[plotstyle=dots,plotNo=3,plotNoMax=6]{\HpTwoOneS}
\listplot[linecolor=green,plotstyle=dots,plotNo=6,plotNoMax=6]{\HpTwoOneS}

\end{psgraph}
\caption{Surface Energy of comparison for different Silicon (001)
reconstruction.}
\end{figure}

The resulting figure showing lot of white space is attached to this
email.

Best regards,
Antoine