[pstricks] Producing good PNG files (Blair Hall)

Gene Ressler eugene.ressler at frontiernet.net
Mon Jan 11 06:35:06 CET 2010

I remember going through the same process.  The following has worked for me
with MikTeX.  I don't claim that this is best. In particular I don't think
the png driver in gs does any anti-aliasing, so another tool might be
better. The -r parameter in gs sets the resolution.

First compile the picture to DVI using TeXtoEPS macros:

% pictureframe.tex
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{pst-all}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\pagestyle{empty}
\begin{document}
\begin{TeXtoEPS}
\input{pstrickspicture}
\end{TeXtoEPS}
\end{document}

Now to eps:
latex pictureframe
dvips pictureframe -E -o tmp.eps
epstool --copy --bbox tmp.eps final.eps
gs -q -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dEPSCrop -sDEVICE=png256
-sOutputFile=final.png -r600 final.eps

Note that the epstool was not needed with earlier versions of MikTeX.  I
don't know what changed.