[pstricks] Shaded boxes request for ideas

David Arnold dwarnold45 at suddenlink.net
Mon Mar 9 07:59:36 CET 2009

All,

This is brilliant and should work in most of my situations.

But is there a way we can make the cyan boxes expand to fit their
content? Here I've added an extra word and it follows outside the
cyan background area.

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{pstricks-add}

\newpsstyle{bgCyan}{fillstyle=solid,fillcolor=cyan!10,linestyle=none}
\def\pBox#1{\psframebox[style=bgCyan]{\makebox[1.4cm]{%
   \tabular{@{}c@{}}#1\endtabular}}}

\begin{document}

\begin{tabular}{ccccc}
\pBox{4} & more than & \pBox{number} & is & \pBox{12}\\
4 & $+$ & $x$ & $=$ & 12\\
\pBox{Original Dollar\\Balance} & + & \pBox{Mandy's\\Deposit}
   & is & \pBox{New\\Balance}
\end{tabular}

\end{document}

I guess I could just adjust the makebox width as needed, but it would
be much better if it were automatic.

D.

On Mar 8, 2009, at 11:42 PM, Herbert Voss wrote:

David Arnold schrieb:

> However, on the first line I'd like to put the 4, number, and 12 is
> boxes of equal size, no boundary, but background shading in cyan. On
> the first line, I'd like the + and the = to centered vertically in
> relation to the boxes around the 4, number, and 12.
>
> Later, I'd like to expand this idea to a first row containing
>
> Original\\Balance & plus & Mandy's\\Deposit & is & New\\Balance
>
> The \\ means to imply that "Original Balance" is typeset as two lines
> in one shaded background box, again vertically centered on the "plus."
>
> Possible with PSTricks?

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{pstricks-add}

\newpsstyle{bgCyan}{fillstyle=solid,fillcolor=cyan,linestyle=none}
\def\pBox#1{\psframebox[style=bgCyan]{\makebox[1.4cm]{%
   \tabular{@{}c@{}}#1\endtabular}}}

\begin{document}

\begin{tabular}{ccccc}
\pBox{4} & more than & \pBox{number} & is & \pBox{12}\\
\pBox{Original\\Balance} & + & \pBox{Mandy's\\Deposit}
   & is & \pBox{New\\Balance}
\end{tabular}