[pstricks] some questions on pst-solide3d

Juergen Gilg gilg at acrotex.net
Thu Jan 8 22:15:41 CET 2009

Dear Zbigniew,

> 1. Where do the limits on the parameters u and v get set?  If I want
> the width of the band to
> change, where do I modify the code?
They are set within the base=

Play around with the factors of the \defFunction macro -- this one
defines the function. This function then gets a UNIQUE name -- in this
case _mobius_ with the variables _u_ and _v_
You can define some other functions in that way with whatever variable
you like: _s_ and _t_, _x_ and _y_ etc. with another name.

Within the macro \psSolid, you declare:
function=mobius, which calls back the defined function with its declared
variables.
base = 0.2 0.25 0 pi then sets the range of the variables
(u[0.2;0.25],v[0;pi])

This is helpful, that you not have to declare what variable names you
chose -- base does the job automatically.
object=surfaceparametree, defines the kind of object that solides-3d
predefined -- a function in 2 variables in that case.
ngrid=.025, sets the GRID of the surface -- sometimes need to be set to
.024 to avoid a division by zero...

> 2. what does the !50 after the colors do?
This gives 50 % if intensity to the named color

> 3. What is the role of base=...?
To setup the range of the u and v values.

Hope that helps,

Juergen

> Zbigniew Nitecki
>
> Department of Mathematics