[pstricks] [pracjourn-announce] PracTeX Journal 2008-3

Lance Carnes lacarnes at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 06:20:10 CET 2008

The 2008-3 issue of The PracTeX Journal is now online.  Below is the Table
of Contents.

If you would like to contribute an article or note to the next issue,
contact the editors. <pracjourn at tug.org>

We hope you enjoy this issue.

Best regards,
Lance Carnes
Editor

The PracTeX Journal <http://tug.org/pracjourn/>
An online journal containing articles and news about TeX, LaTeX, and related
publishing tools.

>From the Editor <http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-3/editor/>
In this issue;
Next issue: Best of PracTeX;
Editorial: LaTeX and TeX on the Web

Feedback from readers <http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-3/feedback/>
Letters to the editors.

News from Around <http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-3/news/>
What is New in LaTeX; User group news — three print journal releases

Whole Issue PDF for PracTeX Journal
2008-3<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-3/wholeissue/>
The 2008-3 issue in a single PDF.

A gentle learning curve for LaTeX <http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-3/gratzer/>
George Gratzer. Is there an easy way to get started in LaTeX? I suggest that
there is.

Writing posters in LaTeX <http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-3/morales/>
Tomas Morales de Luna. LaTeX is an excellent editor for the creation of
poster presentations. When writing a poster with LaTeX, several options are
available. Here we would like to present some of these options and in
particular the a0poster class and Brian Amberg's poster template. We shall
introduce the basics as well as some useful packages and techniques to make
your poster look nice. You can even choose to write your poster sequentially
or up from different text blocks positioned absolutely or relatively within
the page.

Clinical trials management on the internet — I. Using LaTeX and SAS to
produce customized forms <http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-3/thompson1/>
Paul A. Thompson. In clinical trials, forms are used to gather data which is
then entered into a database. Paper-based forms are still the standard for
data collection, due to portability, stability, and storage considerations.
In producing forms, SI (a SAS product which works with the Internet) is used
to facilitate the entry of information about participants in a clinical
trial over the internet. Using LaTeX, the forms are then processed to
produce a .pdf file. The .pdf is returned to the requesting party using a
return page on the web browser. The entire process takes about 20 seconds.
The system allows highly customized forms to be produced, in which values
are inserted into appropriate locations on the forms. LaTeX is important due
to its superior scripting capabilities, while SAS provides a very flexible
database to pull information to be inserted into the forms, as well as
providing a method for scripting up the entire transaction. The code
required for the process and general approach is outlined.

Clinical trials management on the internet — II. Using LaTeX, PostScript,
and SAS to produce barcode label
sheets<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-3/thompson2/>
Paul A. Thompson. In clinical trials, it is often necessary to print labels
with barcodes to identify samples. The availability of open-source tools for
barcode management is still somewhat limited. Until recently, no LaTeX tools
existed for the manipulation and encoding of barcodes. Using direct
PostScript, barcode can be defined for strings to be printed on labels.
Using LaTeX, the labels can be queued up into appropriate sizes for specific
label sheets, and tnen converted into .pdf files. Using SAS, the label
sheets can be ordered in a web environment, queued up into& appropriate
files, and returned to users in a printable file.

plasTeX: Converting LaTeX Documents to Other Markup
Languages<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-3/arnold/>
Tim Arnold. This article introduces plasTeX, a software package for
converting LaTeX documents to other markup languages. It begins with usage
details including examples of how to create HTML and DocBook XML from LaTeX
sources. Then, it describes development details: how plasTeX works and how
developers can use it to create or extend a publishing workflow in a
production setting. Finally, it ends with some examples of customizing the
parser and renderer as well as suggestions of how others can contribute to
this open source project.

Travels in TeX Land: A sidebar for a
book<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-3/walden/>
David Walden. In this column in each issue I muse on my wanderings around
the TeX world. In this issue I describe a small effort to typeset a sidebar
for a book project.

Book reviews <http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-3/reviews/>
More Math into LaTeX, by George Gratzer
Tout ce que vous avez troujours voulu savoir sur LaTeX sans jamais oser le
demander (in French), by Vincent Lozano

LaTeX & TeX web sites <http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-3/edwebs/>
A selection of LaTeX and TeX web sites that PracTeX Journal editors
recommend.

Ask Nelly: Q&A <http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-3/asknelly/>
How do I replace one overlay with another on a Beamer slide?
How do I typeset ancient Greek quotations?

Distractions: Writing recipes with LaTeX
<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-3/distract/>
For this issue of TPJ, we selected a package from an area which is usually
overlooked: cooking. There are several packages allowing you to have fun
writing your own recipes. We selected one: recipe.cls, by Maurizio Loreti
(it can be found on CTAN or you can take it from here). For an example we
chose an Italian recipe, from the book In a Roman Kitchen, by Jo Bettoja
(John Wiley, 2003). So, here they are, the Taxi Driver's Eggplants and the
source.