[pstricks] jpg versus eps

Christoph Bersch usenet at bersch.net
Tue Oct 14 21:47:01 CEST 2008

Hi,

Doris Wagner wrote:

> now here is one thing I stumbled upon: by converting some jpg to eps,
> the files become quite large, e.g. the jpg has 120 KB, whereas the eps
> has 1,8 MB. I convert on a mac with the convert command inside
> terminal (imagemagic).
>
> so, next question: is this normal, I mean that eps files are so much
> larger than jpg files and if so, what is the reason?

this was already explained by Werner.

There is a way to convert the jpeg images into eps images with only
slightly bigger size:
jpeg2ps <http://www.pdflib.com/download/free-software/jpeg2ps/>

from the homepage:

jpeg2ps is a utility for converting JPEG images to compressed PostScript
Level 2 or 3 files (without uncompressing the images). The JPEG data is
simply »wrapped« with PostScript which yields considerably smaller PS
files. jpeg2ps is a simple command line utility and can be used on DOS,
Windows and Unix machines.

It is distributed only as Windows executable and as source code. It
should also compile under Mac, but don't ask me about it ;-)

Christoph