[pstricks] jpg versus eps

Hendrik Hoeth hendrik.hoeth at cern.ch
Tue Oct 14 21:14:04 CEST 2008

Thus spake Werner Grundlingh (wgrundlingh at gmail.com):

> > so, next question: is this normal, I mean that eps files are so much
> > larger than jpg files and if so, what is the reason?
>
> [...]
>
> The conversion from JPG to EPS tries then to make vectors out of all
> the JPG components (pixels), of which there is no clear relationship
> from the one pixel to the next...causing the EPS to make single shapes
> for each pixel in the JPG.

jpeg compression is supported in eps images. Use jpeg2ps to convert the
images -- file size will only change marginally, as basically just the
file header is changed.

Other tools will put the image as bitmap into the eps file. This will
result in huge files, but it is _not_ vectorizing the image.

--
Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety.   -- Benjamin Franklin