[pstricks] jpg versus eps

Doris Wagner doris.wagner at mac.com
Tue Oct 14 20:27:17 CEST 2008

hi list,

this is perhaps a little bit off-topic, I hope you don't mind...

sometimes I want to draw some additional things with pstricks on top
of something other, not made by pstricks, e.g. a jpg.

so as far as I know I have to convert this jpg to eps for using it
inside a pstricks-picture together with includegraphics.

so, first question: is this right? or is there a way to use jpg
directly (together with latex->dvips->ps2pdf)?

now here is one thing I stumbled upon: by converting some jpg to eps,
the files become quite large, e.g. the jpg has 120 KB, whereas the eps
has 1,8 MB. I convert on a mac with the convert command inside
terminal (imagemagic).

so, next question: is this normal, I mean that eps files are so much
larger than jpg files and if so, what is the reason?

tia