[pstricks] what can PSTricks do that PGF/TikZ can't? (and vice versa)

Thu Jul 17 13:00:30 CEST 2008

Dan Drake schrieb:

> I'm giving a presentation in August about graphics tools for LaTeX.
> Naturally I need to mention PSTricks and TikZ. In several places [1],
> the TikZ manual mentions that since PSTricks is based on Postscript, it
> will always have capabilities that TikZ won't.
>
> I'm interested in some examples of things that are easy in PSTricks that
> are impossible or very difficult in PGF/TikZ -- and vice versa. I'm not
> trying to decide which system is "better", I just want to know some of
> the differences between them, as well as the limitations and strengths
> of each.

Additional to what Till already pointed out.
The packages pst-text, pst-func, pst-fractal. pst-solides3d,
and pstricks-add (the differential equation part)  are
difficult to realize with tikZ. On the other hand PSTricks
is not able to tell TeX the size of the bounding box of the
image, which could be very useful for typesetting additional
text, like labels, etc