[pstricks] PSTricks Digest, Vol 66, Issue 10

Zbigniew Nitecki zbigniew.nitecki at tufts.edu
Sat Jul 12 15:23:41 CEST 2008

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

On Jul 12, 2008, at 6:00, pstricks-request at tug.org wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 15:23:57 -0400
> From: Zbigniew Nitecki <zbigniew.nitecki at tufts.edu>
> Subject: [pstricks] placing subpictures in pstricks
> To: pstricks at tug.org
>
> I want to place two different pictures side-by-side, and tried the
> following:
> **********************************************************************************
>> 	\begin{pspicture}(-4,-2.5)(4,2.5)
>> 	\psset{xunit=2cm, yunit=2cm}
>> 		\newcommand{\polarplane}{
>> 			\psline{<->}(0,2)(0,0)(2,0)
>> 			\uput[u](0,2){$\theta$}
>> 			\uput[r](2,0){$r$}
>> 			\pspolygon[fillstyle=hlines,fillcolor=lightgray, gridangle=45]%
>> 				(0,0.5)(1.5,0.5)(1.5,1.5)(0,1.5)
>> 		}
>> 		\newcommand{\rectplane}{
>> 			\psline{<->}(0,2)(0,-2)
>> 			\psline{<->}(-2,0)(2,0)
>> 			\uput[u](0,2){$y$}
>> 			\uput[r](2,0){$x$}
>> 		\multido{\rr=0.5+0.2}{6}{%
>> 			\psarc(0,0){\rr}{0}{90}%
>> 			}
>> 		\multido{\rt=0+10}{90}{%
>> 			\psline(0.5 \rt\space cos mul, 0.5 \rt\space sin mul)%
>> 				(1.5 \rt\space cos mul, 1.5 \rt\space sin mul)%
>> 			}
>> 		}
>> 		\rput(-4,0){\polarplane}
>> 		\rput(2,0){\rectplane}
>> 	\end{pspicture}
> which gave me an error message
>
>> l.49 		\rput(-4,0){\polarplane}
>>
>> ?
>> ! Illegal unit of measure (pt inserted).
>> <to be read again>
>>                   0
>> l.50 		\rput(2,0){\rectplane}
>>
>> ?
>>

> (line 49 is the first \rput)  If I hit return, it repeated the second
> message, four times with 0, then four with 1 in place of zero, etc;
> when I ran in silent mode, I got an output consisting of two copies of
> the object defined by \polarplane, once on the extreme left and the
> other on the extreme right, and no copy of \rectplane.  What is going
> on, and how should I carry out what I want to do?
>

> Zbigniew Nitecki
> Department of Mathematics
> Tufts University
> Medford, MA 02155
>
> telephones:
> Office    (617)627-3843
> Dept.    (617)627-3234
> Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
> http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:45:39 -0700
> From: Michael Sharpe <msharpe at ucsd.edu>
> Subject: Re: [pstricks] placing subpictures in pstricks
> To: Graphics with PSTricks <pstricks at tug.org>
> Cc: Michael Sharpe <msharpe at ucsd.edu>
>
> The main problem is the \psline specification. The first should be
>
> \psline(!0.5 \rt\space cos mul 0.5 \rt\space sin mul)%add ! at start,
> [...]

I understand the change in format in the \psline specification, but I
am not sure where the \SpecialCoor command should go (my copy of the
pstricks book has paragraphs on p. 27 and 125, but not one example of
the syntax of using it.  Does it go at the start of the body of the
\newcommand definition, or inside the multido---and do I need to put a
\NormalCoor command somewhere at the end?