[pstricks] placing subpictures in pstricks

Zbigniew Nitecki zbigniew.nitecki at tufts.edu
Fri Jul 11 21:23:57 CEST 2008

I want to place two different pictures side-by-side, and tried the
following:
> 	\begin{pspicture}(-4,-2.5)(4,2.5)
> 	\psset{xunit=2cm, yunit=2cm}
> 		\newcommand{\polarplane}{
> 			\psline{<->}(0,2)(0,0)(2,0)
> 			\uput[u](0,2){$\theta$}
> 			\uput[r](2,0){$r$}
> 			\pspolygon[fillstyle=hlines,fillcolor=lightgray, gridangle=45]%
> 				(0,0.5)(1.5,0.5)(1.5,1.5)(0,1.5)
> 		}
> 		\newcommand{\rectplane}{
> 			\psline{<->}(0,2)(0,-2)
> 			\psline{<->}(-2,0)(2,0)
> 			\uput[u](0,2){$y$}
> 			\uput[r](2,0){$x$}
> 		\multido{\rr=0.5+0.2}{6}{%
> 			\psarc(0,0){\rr}{0}{90}%
> 			}
> 		\multido{\rt=0+10}{90}{%
> 			\psline(0.5 \rt\space cos mul, 0.5 \rt\space sin mul)%
> 				(1.5 \rt\space cos mul, 1.5 \rt\space sin mul)%
> 			}
> 		}
> 		\rput(-4,0){\polarplane}
> 		\rput(2,0){\rectplane}
> 	\end{pspicture}
which gave me an error message

> l.49 		\rput(-4,0){\polarplane}
>
> ?
> ! Illegal unit of measure (pt inserted).
> <to be read again>
>                    0
> l.50 		\rput(2,0){\rectplane}
>
> ?

(line 49 is the first \rput)  If I hit return, it repeated the second
message, four times with 0, then four with 1 in place of zero, etc;
when I ran in silent mode, I got an output consisting of two copies of
the object defined by \polarplane, once on the extreme left and the
other on the extreme right, and no copy of \rectplane.  What is going
on, and how should I carry out what I want to do?

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155