[pstricks] Some Questions about pst-3dplot

Alan Ristow ristow at ece.gatech.edu
Fri Mar 14 13:57:39 CET 2008

VAFA KHALIGHI wrote:
> 1- Is there any guide where I can learn post script notation for
> mathematical expressions well? i.e *x^3* is written as *x 3 exp* in
> postscript notation.

The canonical reference for that is the Postscript Language Reference
Manual (the "Red Book"):

http://www.adobe.com/products/postscript/pdfs/PLRM.pdf

If all you want is to quickly get some idea of the syntax and some of
the commands available, though, you might prefer the Postscript Language
Tutorial and Cookbook (the "Blue Book"):

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/sdk/sample/BlueBook.zip
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/sdk/sample/GreenBook.zip

> 2- When you want to skech a function of two variables, do you really
> need to have
> **
> *\psset{Alpha=25,Beta=15}*
>  and what happenes if you do not put it? will you get the wrong graph?

Alpha and Beta have default values that will be used if you do not set
them explicitly (I don't recall offhand what the defaults are, but
you'll find them somewhere in the docs). By not setting them explicitly
you won't get a "wrong graph," but you might get a graph that is
difficult to read or does not clearly display the feature you wish to
display.

> 3- How do you know which valuve of Alpha and Beta you need to use?

There's no "right" value for Alpha and Beta -- you just set them so the
graph you produce looks the way you wish and communicates your message.
I rarely use pst-3dplot, so when I do I set Alpha and Beta by trial and
error. Once you've gained some experience with it you'll probably have a
more intuitive feel for the appropriate values to use in any situation.
You might also try studying the explanation given in the docs -- it
might give you a better feel for what these parameters do and help you
select appropriate values.

Alan