[pstricks] \psaxes - Offset of first tick from lower left corner & \dataplot clipping

mogliii mogliii at gmx.net
Sun Feb 24 12:15:31 CET 2008

Hi,

I recently bought the book "PSTricks, 4th edition" (german) by Mr. Voss.

I want to use it to create nice plots of functions and graphs. I already
got accustomed to the scaling and all the small things. However there
are still two things I couldn't solve by myself, even though I browsed
many manuals and examples.

(1) Shift the first x/y - Label/Tick away from the origin by an
arbitrary distance.

- Example where I would like to use this:
http://www.tug.org/PSTricks/pst-plot/nDiff.pdf

- What I want to do:
I would like to shift the point (0,0) by 0.5 mm to the right, and 0.5 mm
up. And I also want the Labels to be adjusted accordingly. However, not
a multiple of the tick distance. Because in that case I could use the
option "showorigin=false" and "Ox= -1".

To Illustrate, I uploaded a graph where this was done (with Origin) to
http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~schmidma/graph.png

Can anyone tell me how to do this with pstricks? Is it necessary to draw
your own ticks and labels with multido?

(2) Clip data in \dataplot
I want to plot datapoints, but only a small area of it. So some of the
points are outside the graph. I did not find a easy option. And I dont
want to filter the data before importing. Because I will have to repeat
all steps if I change the plot area, and I have to insert dummy-points
on the border to get the right slope of lines going out of the plot.

Besides these two points I am very impressed by the look of the
generated graphs. I really like it, especially the exact control on
arrows, lines and labels (compared to Origin).

With kind regards,
Marek